Saturday, August 19, 2017

Get SOMETHING Green on Your Plate!

You know green veggies are good for you, but do you find you keep telling yourself you'll be better about eating them - in the future?  Does it seem like too much to deal with today? When it all seems too much, I seek SIMPLE solutions. 

Why eat fresh green veggies?  Green veggies help digestion and help you feel satisfied with less likelihood of overeating. They can help avoid acid reflux and indigestion.  The chlorophyll in your green veggies is said to improve anemic conditions, the action of the heart, reduce high blood pressure normal blood count and platelet levels; to contribute to healing of hepatitis and other liver diseases, asthma and hay-fever, pyorrhea, varicose veins, ulcers - internal and external, high and low blood sugar, offensive body odors, sore throat; to shield the brain from antioxidant damage; and to add power to an anti-aging program. My article on chlorophyll details all kinds of the amazing benefits of green stuff.

{You can find chlorophyll here}

Despite all this goodness, it is so easy to find your meals have little or no green! (And don't try to cheat yourself with canned vegetables - they do not have the nutritional value of fresh veggies)

A little bit of iceberg lettuce (what I sometimes call "green water") a slice of insipid tomato, a few bits of shredded carrot are of little help.  Remember the more veggies you eat, the easier it is for your body to process your meal - leading to weight loss, better digestion, blood sugar balance, and all around real nourishment and health improvement.

It may seem that getting around to creating a routine of eating plenty of green veggies is impossible.  It just isn't happening.  I have been through stages like this - I found myself thinking:
- Oh my gosh HOW do I get something GREEN on this PLATE??  I can barely manage to get myself fed in the first place!
Well, the first thing is to commit to making the habit of veggie.  Start with just the idea of it,  like "I am okay with eating more green veggies. I can make it happen (as long as they taste good). I just have to keep it really simple to start."

Now, I realize that even my super simple Perfect Green Veggie Sautee and Kale Salad can seem a little daunting if you are living life in overwhelm. So for this post I got down to basics. I found that when there is too much going on in my life, the minimum was all I could do - maybe you feel like that too.  So let's break it down - what is the one thing you can do - one thing you can manage to get yourself to do? Start with veggies that need little or no preparation.

Baby Steps:
(this is all I could manage for a couple of weeks!)
Just slice some celery, cucumber, and/or decent tomatoes.  A handful of snap peas also work well (remove the strings). Baby carrots are better than nothing. (Okay, okay...tomatoes and carrots aren't green, but I feel better if I have them with a meal than if I have no veggies at all!) In my experience, if I could get one or more of those vegetables on my lunch or dinner (or breakfast!) plate, I felt better.  If I felt better, I found I was able to do it again -- if by no other means than by remembering feeling better.

Get the green on your plate! Veggies aren't taking anything away from you.  They don't make you fat! They don't give you health problems! Just add them to what you are already eating, whatever that is.




Once you take the first steps, try some variety: Super Simple Chunky Salad
  • Super Simple Chunky Salad -- For one serving, cut 1 Persian cucumber or half of a regular cucumber in half lengthwise, and then cut these halves the long way again, then I cut these long quarters into bite sized chunks; toss in a medium bowl with virgin olive oil, Himalayan or other quality salt, any savory dried spices that are handy (oregano, basil, thyme, sage, rosemary) and similarly sized chunks of tomatoes.  






    Variation #1:  Add more green veggies to your chunky salad, cutting them to about the same size as your cukes and tomatoes: Try celery, sugar peas, even leftover steamed asparagus or broccoli.  
    Hey, it's summer, so grab some decent tomatoes at the farmers' market or if you can't get there, you can get organic Del Cabo Cherry tomatoes at many grocery stores.
    Variation #2: Add fresh herbs, such as chopped basil, Italian parsley, mint, or dill. 

Even if all you have in the fridge is some celery and a couple of wilting sprigs of dill, you could cut the celery into some angular slices and toss with some virgin olive oil, quality salt. Chop up that dill nice and fine and add it too.

For many of you, all this really has to start with creating new grocery shopping habits.  Do you shop without a list? Make a shopping list on your phone now so you don't have to remember when you're already on your way to or at the grocery store.  You can start with the veggies that require minimal preparation: Celery, cucumbers, sugar peas, tomatoes, savory spices)  You can even get organic snap peas at Trader Joes (just know that the ones from a farmers' market are more flavorful). 

As with any new skill, choose something very simple to start with, just to get yourself going in the right direction, and then add to it for increased yumminess.  Figure out what you can manage and start there. Once you have the basic level mastered (getting something green on your plate), try moving on to slightly more ambitious preparations, such as my Choppy SaladPerfect Green Veggie Sautee, and Kale Salad.

You can do this!



Supplies:
Cast iron skillet
Cast iron lid
Ceramic skillet
A good knife (be careful!)
A bamboo cutting board
Mini measuring glass
Unprocessed mineral salt
Macadamia nut oil
Coconut oil
Spatula
Serving Bowl

Supplements:
Chlorophyll










No comments:

Post a Comment