Saturday, August 19, 2017

Get SOMETHING Green on Your Plate!

You know green veggies are good for you, but do you find you keep telling yourself you'll be better about eating them - in the future?  Does it seem like too much to deal with today? When it all seems too much, I seek SIMPLE solutions. 

Why eat green veggies?  Green veggies help avoid acid reflux and indigestion.  The chlorophyll in your green veggies is said to improve anemic conditions, the action of the heart, reduce high blood pressure normal blood count and platelet levels; to contribute to healing of hepatitis and other liver diseases, asthma and hay-fever, pyorrhea, varicose veins, ulcers - internal and external, high and low blood sugar, offensive body odors, sore throat; to shield the brain from antioxidant damage; and to add power to an anti-aging program. My article on chlorophyll details all kinds of the amazing benefits of green stuff.

{You can find chlorophyll here}

Despite all this goodness, it is so easy to find your meals have little or no green!

A little bit of lettuce (what I call "green water") a slice of insipid tomato, a few bits of shredded carrot are of little help.  Remember the more veggies you eat, the easier it is for your body to process your meal - leading to weight loss, better digestion, blood sugar balance, and all around real nourishment and health improvement.

It may seem that getting around to creating a routine of eating plenty of green veggies is impossible.  It just isn't happening.  I have been through stages like this - I found myself thinking:
- Oh my gosh HOW do I get something GREEN on this PLATE??  I can barely manage to get myself fed in the first place!
Well, the first thing is to commit to making the habit of veggie.  Start with the idea of it,  like "Okay I am okay with eating more green veggies. I can make it happen. I just have to keep it really simple to start."  I realize that even my super simple Perfect Green Veggie Sautee and Kale Salad can seem to be too much if you are living life in overwhelm. So for this post I brought it way down to basics. I found that when it was all too much, the minimum was all I could do - maybe you feel like that too.  So let's break it down - what is the one, minimum thing you can do - one thing you can manage to get yourself to do? Start with veggies that need little or not preparation.

Super Basic Minimum:
(this is all I could manage for a couple of weeks!)
Just slice some celery, cucumber, and/or decent tomatoes.  A handful of sugar peas also work well (remove the strings). Baby carrots are better than nothing.

Now you have something green on your plate.  (Okay, okay...tomatoes aren't green, but they are delicious, hydrating, and I feel better if I have tomatoes with a meal than if I have no veggies at all)

I found that if I could get one or more of those vegetables on my lunch or dinner plate, I felt better.
If I felt better, I found I was able to do it again -- if by no other means than by remembering feeling better.

Basic (Next level up from Minimum):
  • Simple Basic #1: Chunky salad -- For one serving, cut 1 Persian cucumber or half of a regular cucumber in half lengthwise, and then cut these halves the long way again, then cut these long quarters into bite sized chunks; toss in a medium bowl with virgin olive oil, Himalayan or other quality salt, and similarly sized chunks of tomatoes.  

  • Variation #1:  Add more green veggies to your chunky salad. celery, sugar peas, leftover steamed asparagus, with your cukes, tomatoes, and
    herbs.  Hey, it's summer, so grab some decent tomatoes at the farmers' market or if you can't get there, you can get organic Del Cabo Cherry tomatoes at the grocery store.
  • Variation #2: Add fresh herbs, such as chopped basil, Italian parsley, mint, or dill. 
Even if all you have in the fridge is some celery and a couple of wilting sprigs of dill, you could cut the celery into some angular slices and toss with some virgin olive oil, quality salt, and dill.

Okay, I guess all this really has to start with the grocery shopping.  Well, you have get groceries sometime! So when you do it, make sure you get these veggies -- at least the celery, cukes, sugar peas, or tomatoes that require little or no preparation.)  You can even get organic sugar peas at Trader Joes.  You can do this!

As with any new skill, choose something very simple to start with, just to get yourself going in the right direction, and then add to it for increased yumminess.  Once you have this basic level mastered, you can move on to  Perfect Green Veggie Sautee, and Kale Salad.

In a future post we'll take it to the next level - like how to eat more green veggies when eating out.










No comments:

Post a Comment